Overview of the HELPS Program
- HELPS is evidence-based and research-validated.
- HELPS significantly improves students' reading with only three 15-minute sessions per week.
- HELPS can be used by all types of professionally trained educators (e.g., classroom teachers, reading specialists, intervention teachers, school psychologists, etc.) and even by carefully trained community volunteers.
- HELPS is usually used with students in grades 1-5, but research has also found it to be effective with older students.
- Nationally, HELPS is often used as a Tier 2 or 3 intervention within an MTSS model.
- The HELPS curriculum and passages can be accessed for FREE from Helps Education Fund.
HELPS is also included in the most recent nationally endorsed practice guide for early reading instruction. In this guide, published by the U.S. Department of Education’s What Works Clearinghouse, HELPS is highlighted as one of only a small number of reading programs that significantly improved children’s word reading, oral reading fluency, and reading comprehension.
Click here to learn even more about HELPS.