Virtual Literacy Tutor
Overview of the Position
The part-time Virtual Literacy Tutor will support 3rd to 5th grade Readers on the Rise in their reading fluency development by offering high-quality tutoring with the Helping Early Literacy with Practice Strategies (HELPS) program. The main purpose of HELPS is to strengthen students’ reading fluency and confidence as readers. HELPS has been rigorously researched and validated to improve students’ reading fluency, comprehension, and confidence. Under the leadership and direction of Helping Education, this position will be a part-time, hourly contract position. All tutoring will be completed virtually, with a platform such as Zoom. Please read HELPS FAQ’s (this FAQ link also directs you to an abbreviated video showing virtual HELPS tutoring).
- Training 12-20 hours (June 21 to July 2, 2021, paid)
- Tutoring July 6, 2021 through August 13/August 20 depending on placement
Virtual Literacy Tutors have the following responsibilities and duties:
- Implement the Virtual HELPS One-on-One Literacy intervention to approximately eight students each week, with each student receiving four 20-minute sessions per week.
- Establish a friendly, encouraging and welcoming virtual tutoring environment for students.
- Report to all assigned tutoring shifts on time.
- Accurately complete all necessary forms per tutoring session.
- Provide advanced notice of any planned absences to your HELPS Coach.
- Ensure tutor’s environment is distraction free.
- Provide timely communication to Implementation Coach/Site Coordinator regarding student progress and challenges.
- Schedule tutoring appointments with parents and students, if needed.
- If needed, communicate with CBO staff to support student attendance & provide updates on student progress.
- Maintain current tutoring log for reporting / payroll.
- Reinforce tutoring expectations of student to support positive behavior and learning.
- Minimum Age: 18
- Clearance via the finger printing and background check organization for the NYC DOE. (Would require an in-person visit to the appropriate NYC DOE facility. Fee reimbursable upon clearance).
- Minimum high school diploma with a 3.0 current grade point average.
- High school-level English proficiency is required (in order to model and correct students’ English reading skills, which include phonics, fluency, and comprehension).
- Consistent access to a personal, reliable computer/laptop device and reliable Internet (including working camera, microphone and speakers).
- Ability to work consistent 5 hours day, 4 days a week, between Monday-Thursday 8-4pm
- Successfully completion of virtual training and practice activities for specific HELPS tutoring intervention (approximately 12-20 total hours).
- Participation in coaching to support HELPS tutoring with students.
- 100% attendance of training, tutoring sessions, and job-related meetings with a maximum of 2 unscheduled absences. (Note: student success depends on tutors’ mastery of each program’s tutoring concepts - it helps them progress through their reading improvement).
- Proficiency with the Zoom platform and Google Docs/Sheets.
- Comfort with Zoom to support families and students with some technical assistance and troubleshooting, as necessary.
- Interested in continuing through the school year
- Prior experience with fluency and/or reading intervention training as teachers, teaching assistants, paraprofessionals or volunteers.
- Bilingual (English / Spanish) applicants are especially encouraged to apply.
Contract rate per hour: $17.50
- Tutors will be paid for initial orientation, tutor training, HELPS tutoring sessions, as well as tutor coaching that may occur outside of student tutoring sessions
- This position does not qualify for benefits, paid holiday time, or paid time off.
How to Apply